Wednesday, April 28, 2010

the start of something...

Hi there.

Yeah sure, I know... Everybody, and their sister, and their mother's cousin has a blog these days.  And prolly a sports blog.  So, how is mine different?  Well, in short- it isn't.  It's a blog, folks.  But hopefully I can offer some insights and opinions others might find relevant and helpful.  Otherwise, you simply walk away... yup, that's it. I won't spend a lot of time making it sexy with pictures, these are just my humble rants.

First off, I'm a huge hockey fan; and yes, that means the San Jose Sharks.  Yeah, I remember back when they started at the Cow Palace.  And yes, HP Pavillion is an amazing venue.  I'll talk more about the 2nd round of the playoffs before that series gets underway.

Second, I've really come to enjoy baseball more and more over the years and have always been a San Francisco Giants fan.  And a big fan of Kruk and Kuip especially.  Personally, I think Giants fans need to learn how to be better fans of this amazing team- and they have the potential to be something really special this season.  More about this coming up next.

Third, I was a big fan of the 49ers while growing up, moved away for quite a few years and have now been back for a while... Sadly, the Niners haven't been able to field a very competitive team, but they're really on the right track.  IMHO, they are starting to build a team that can not only compete; but one that can win.  I'll be talking more about this over time.  But Sharks and G-Men will take center stage for a while.

Fourth, Golden State Warriors basketball.  Sadly, I've never been able to fall totally in love with them.  Every time I really enjoyed the team and its potential, they'd trade all the  key components away in the off-season.  As a kid, I enjoyed watching Sleepy Floyd, Gus Williams, and Rick Barry... But I never really liked Nellie.  And after they broke up TMC, the dealings with Sprewell, Chris Webber, and all... They pretty much lost me.  More about them as my time permits, but basically...

Historically, the GSW's always trade their talent away- the talent they work so hard to get.  Don't even get me started on name dropping... Start whereever you want, trading the rights to Wilt Chamberlain, or the more recent: Tim Hardaway, Penny, C Webb, Baron Davis, Jamal Crawford, Stephen Jackson, Jason Richardson, Antawn Jamison, Derek Fisher, and so many more...  It's such a bad trend, I can't figure out how they deserve the fan loyalty they get at home games- and they get the best fans in the NBA IMHO.

If you've read this far, you've prolly noticed I haven't mentioned the Athletics or the Raiders or the San Jose Earthquakes yet.  Or the FC Gold Pride, or any college sports teams.  Sorry folks, I haven't been excited about the A's since the days of Ricky Henderson and Dave Stewart and Eckersley, but I do think they have the makings of a pretty solid team this year.  Even though Sheets got shelled today, I think he was a very good pick-up for the A's.  He'll continue to prove it over the course of the season. And Kurt Suzuki is due for a lot more national attention than he gets as a premier catcher in The Bigs.  I think he's one of the absolute best.

That's it for my first post.  Stay tuned, I'll be posting some of my thoughts about tomorrow's SF Giants match up against the Phillies to close out this series.  And in the next day or two will post some thoughts about the San Jose Sharks and what I think they need to continue to move further towards The Cup.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment